PRAYERS for use individually as Churches re-open following Covid-19 Lockdown.
You may want to think of:
- Things to give thanks for
– perhaps including health, the help of other people, family and friends. Those who have cared in NHS and Residential Homes. Key workers, and others who have taken risks.
- Things to praise God for
– a world where people heal, there is hope and love. The beauty of the natural world: birdsong, gardens and parks. The strength of faith, looking even beyond this life with hope.
- Things to own up to, and ask forgiveness for:
– arguments, selfishness, failures to understand, forgive, or accept forgiveness. Lack of faith in others, and in God. Things in the past that now we wish we had tackled differently.
- Things to ask for,
– a better directed life, now that we are being set free again. Good relationships with family, friends and neighbours. Ways to remember the best of what we have learnt in these months, and leave behind the worst. How to include God’s strength and direction in your life more, so that you will be blessed, and be a blessing to others. → over
Here are some prayers you may find helpful:
Jesus taught his disciples to pray like this –
Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name;
thy kingdom come;
thy will be done;
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation;
but deliver us from evil. Amen.
These prayers are from the Church of England:
Lord God, the maker and redeemer of all,
as we come before you in grief and praise this day,
comfort us with your presence,
make us attentive to your voice,
and sustain us with the hope of your kingdom;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.
In darkness and in light,
in trouble and in joy,
help us, heavenly Father, to trust your love,
to serve your purpose,
and to praise your name;
through Jesus Christ our Lord
Lament Psalm 130
Out of the depths I have called to you, Lord,
Let your ears be open to hear my voice.
If you recorded all our sins
who could come before you?
There is forgiveness with you:
therefore you shall be feared.
My soul is longing for the Lord,
more than those who watch for daybreak.
O Israel, wait for the Lord,
for with the Lord there is mercy.
Father, we commend to your faithful love
those who are crying from the depths;
help them to watch and pray
through their time of darkness,
in sure hope of the dawn of your forgiveness and redemption; through Jesus Christ our Lord.